Why does Piggy even mention his nickname to Ralph if he doesn't want to be called it anymore? Explain.
18 comments:
Talen Hartman
said...
I think that Piggy told Ralph about his nickname because he trusted him. He saw characteristics in him that he didn't see in the other boys, and, with something like that, couldn't help but feel like he wouldn't be betrayed or turned on in any way. Of course, knowing how Piggy seems so much mature than the others on the island, it doesn't take much to assume he overestimated Ralph. It'd be just like telling a dog not to bark. Or your little sister not to eat the last cookie, just because you expect something more from them. I think this shows both us and Piggy that although underestimation is bad, overestimation might be just as much... and that you should reserve trust for someone you've known for more than a couple minutes.
Talen, I agree with what you said about Piggy trusting Ralph. In a way I think Piggy was like, "Oh, there is another boy who is mature like me and can understand me." But I think Ralph sort of goes with the flow even though he has characteristics of a leader. This makes him want to make the crowd of people enjoy their time with him and he doesn’t even think about friendship like he somewhat did when they were alone. I also agree with how underestimating and overestimating can be bad, since it could just come at you full force, which you wouldn’t be expecting or come at you too softly, disappointing you very much. And yes, I think trusting someone you’ve known for a few minutes is pretty bad, what if it was some sort of creep?! That would be very bad….
I agree with Talen, Piggy should have thought through what he would say to a stranger he only met a couple of minutes ago. Piggy, being the good hearted person that he is might have assumed that Ralf would respect another stranger’s chose of not being called a certain name. I think that maybe Piggy mentioned it to Ralph just to start a conversation so that Ralph would eventually ask what his real name was. Well, obviously that wasn't the case, Piggy should have seen this coming, or at least defended his right a little more by saying that he would much rather be called by his real name, but it never seems to come up.
Talen, I totally agree with what you’re saying. Piggy did overestimate Ralph, a boy he had just met. It seems that the only thing going through Piggy’s head was “Please just call me my real name” and wasn’t fully thinking when he first told Ralph about the nickname though. But yes like you said Talen, Piggy definitely thought he saw something in Ralph and trusted him too easily.
I think that Piggy told Ralph his nickname because he was lost and realized that there were no adults. Piggy was looking for someone to talk to. Piggy seems to be a very open person and quick to trust people. He realized later that he should have kept his nickname to himself. Even though Piggy was angry about Ralph telling everyone his nickname, Piggy was quick to forgive. Piggy knew that they all had to work together in order to survive, so he would put up with the nickname.
Talen, I completely agree with you. I think that Piggy did overestimate Ralph, because he wanted someone to confide in. If I had been in an air plane accident, I would have wanted someone to trust, even with the most embarrassing things. Another reason why Piggy may have told him is so that he wouldn't call him that. But as smart as Piggy is he would've known Ralph would end up calling him the nickname, no matter what it might have been.
Talen, I agree with your statement here. But one thing I would add is why Piggy overestimated Ralph: As the most mature person on the island, he may have just assumed that everyone was just as mature as he was, as Jiyon said. Add this to the fact that he is totally socially inept and that he was probably used to dealing with well-structured conversation with relatively sophisticated people. This would probably lead him to believe that he wasn't dealing with just another immature schoolboy.
Kyle Tusing- I agree with you completely. Piggy does seem to be a very open and honest person. But I also agree with Talen. Ralph seems to have very good characteristics and with no adults to guide the kids, they kind of have to rely on their judge of character.
Talen, I completely agree with your statement. But I'd like to add why he overestimated the others. As Jiyon said, Piggy's thought process was probably sort of like "I am mature, so everyone around me is also mature." This is not just an assumption, however. Piggy, being the intellectual that he is, probably was used to being around adults and other people like him. So he probably wasn't just basing his thoughts on himself, he probably was just assuming the island would be like the school and community he was used to. Unfortunately, this was not the case, and the person he confided in was not a very sophisticated person, but an average twelve year old school boy.
I think that in a way, Piggy almost wanted him to tell the others simply for the attention. I mean he did basically say "Oh, yeah... I have this nickname that I really hate, but please don't call me that." That was kind of dim-witted, and Piggy does NOT seem like a dim witted character. He seems smart enough to know that Ralph, while one of the more mature boys on the island, does still act childish. I don't really think that it mattered that it was Ralph that he told, I think it was just a matter of convenience.
Jiyon, I totally agree with you! I mean he's known this kid for all of ten minutes before he's spilling his secrets! Very foolish Piggy, very foolish... not to mention he expected Raplh to keep this private... I mean Ralph is only like twelve and how many twelve year olds are really good at keeping secrets?
I agree with Talen, Piggy trusted Ralph way to easily. Out of all the kids Ralph seemed most trustworthy, but if Piggy didn't want to be called by his nickname, then he shouldn't have brought it up. He should have thought before he spoke, or maybe he just spoke too soon. Ralph might have seemed like he could be trusted, but how could Piggy know after meeting Ralph for only a few minutes. Piggy overestimated Ralph a lot, and is now being called by a name that hurts him.
I agree with Carlee, I think that one of the main reasons why Piggy told Ralph his nickname was because he had just been through a traumatic experience (the plane crash) and he was nervous and probably a little bit frightened. I think he just wanted to be able to think to himself that he had someone to trust, a solid rock, even when everything else around him doesn't seem to be making much sense. To Piggy, him telling Ralph his nickname was much more than sharing a little secret, it was a symbol of showing that he trusted in Ralph; there were no adult figures and Piggy just wanted the comfort of being able to have a reliable figure to count on. However, Ralph is not an adult, and to Piggy's disappointment, he isn't Piggy's best friend either. Ralph is, despite his display of good character, just another kid, and Piggy shouldn't have invested very much in him...especially after only knowing him for such a brief time.
I think Piggy although is very mature is somewhat socially awkward. This isn't completely Piggy's fault. I think Piggy had nothing to say to Ralph or didn't know what to say so by telling Ralph his nickname he got attention and started conversation. Piggy did not think before he told Ralph his nick name and needs to think before he trusts someone with information he doesn't want everyone else to know.
I agree with Maria piggy told Ralph his name so he could get a conversation start. He trusted Ralph a little to much for a guy he just meet. He expected more from Ralph then that. He felt betrayed he was hoping Ralph asked him what his real name was, but that didn't happen Ralph needs to be more considerable to. Piggy needs to think through next time he speaks. Even though he has speaking problems. He just has to think a little more before he tells someone he doesn't know that his name is Piggy but he doesn't want to be called that.
Talen, I agree. I feel that Piggy just wanted a friend and someone he could trust. He didn't see the other boys and he figured Ralph looked like a nice guy. Turns out, he underestimated him. Piggy is much more mature than any of the other kids so before he met the other kids, he expected the other kids to be mature too, right? Wrong. Piggy figured Ralph would honor his wish of not being called Piggy. But what Piggy didn't realize, is that Ralph is just another immature kid. Piggy should've gotten to know Ralph better before telling him what he did NOT want to be called.
I also agree with Talen; Piggy overestimated Ralph. I think Piggy had decided that the two were friends from trauma. They had both survived a plane crash which was probably the most traumatic thing in either of their lives. Piggy, perhaps, didn’t notice how Ralph was more of a jokester and not one to entrust with secrets. Piggy is also an awkward character. He most likely could not think of a thing to say to Ralph. Since he was not sure what to say he rambled on about the first thing that he could think of. Ralph was also the oldest of the boys so Piggy may have thought he would be more mature. It’s often that older children have a higher maturity levels then those younger than themselves. It was a mistake on Piggy’s part. This mistake resulted in the reader never knowing Piggy’s real name.
Piggy trusted Ralph and hoped they could become friends. They do, eventually, which gives Piggy an almost psychic aura of insight that goes with the general theme of his charecter's death: he is being venerated, almost the same way Simon was, just as the boy with the birthmark was.
18 comments:
I think that Piggy told Ralph about his nickname because he trusted him. He saw characteristics in him that he didn't see in the other boys, and, with something like that, couldn't help but feel like he wouldn't be betrayed or turned on in any way. Of course, knowing how Piggy seems so much mature than the others on the island, it doesn't take much to assume he overestimated Ralph. It'd be just like telling a dog not to bark. Or your little sister not to eat the last cookie, just because you expect something more from them. I think this shows both us and Piggy that although underestimation is bad, overestimation might be just as much... and that you should reserve trust for someone you've known for more than a couple minutes.
Talen, I agree with what you said about Piggy trusting Ralph. In a way I think Piggy was like, "Oh, there is another boy who is mature like me and can understand me." But I think Ralph sort of goes with the flow even though he has characteristics of a leader. This makes him want to make the crowd of people enjoy their time with him and he doesn’t even think about friendship like he somewhat did when they were alone. I also agree with how underestimating and overestimating can be bad, since it could just come at you full force, which you wouldn’t be expecting or come at you too softly, disappointing you very much. And yes, I think trusting someone you’ve known for a few minutes is pretty bad, what if it was some sort of creep?! That would be very bad….
I agree with Talen, Piggy should have thought through what he would say to a stranger he only met a couple of minutes ago. Piggy, being the good hearted person that he is might have assumed that Ralf would respect another stranger’s chose of not being called a certain name. I think that maybe Piggy mentioned it to Ralph just to start a conversation so that Ralph would eventually ask what his real name was. Well, obviously that wasn't the case, Piggy should have seen this coming, or at least defended his right a little more by saying that he would much rather be called by his real name, but it never seems to come up.
Talen, I totally agree with what you’re saying. Piggy did overestimate Ralph, a boy he had just met. It seems that the only thing going through Piggy’s head was “Please just call me my real name” and wasn’t fully thinking when he first told Ralph about the nickname though. But yes like you said Talen, Piggy definitely thought he saw something in Ralph and trusted him too easily.
I think that Piggy told Ralph his nickname because he was lost and realized that there were no adults. Piggy was looking for someone to talk to. Piggy seems to be a very open person and quick to trust people. He realized later that he should have kept his nickname to himself. Even though Piggy was angry about Ralph telling everyone his nickname, Piggy was quick to forgive. Piggy knew that they all had to work together in order to survive, so he would put up with the nickname.
Talen, I completely agree with you. I think that Piggy did overestimate Ralph, because he wanted someone to confide in. If I had been in an air plane accident, I would have wanted someone to trust, even with the most embarrassing things. Another reason why Piggy may have told him is so that he wouldn't call him that. But as smart as Piggy is he would've known Ralph would end up calling him the nickname, no matter what it might have been.
Talen,
I agree with your statement here. But one thing I would add is why Piggy overestimated Ralph: As the most mature person on the island, he may have just assumed that everyone was just as mature as he was, as Jiyon said. Add this to the fact that he is totally socially inept and that he was probably used to dealing with well-structured conversation with relatively sophisticated people. This would probably lead him to believe that he wasn't dealing with just another immature schoolboy.
Kyle Tusing-
I agree with you completely. Piggy does seem to be a very open and honest person. But I also agree with Talen. Ralph seems to have very good characteristics and with no adults to guide the kids, they kind of have to rely on their judge of character.
Talen,
I completely agree with your statement. But I'd like to add why he overestimated the others. As Jiyon said, Piggy's thought process was probably sort of like "I am mature, so everyone around me is also mature." This is not just an assumption, however. Piggy, being the intellectual that he is, probably was used to being around adults and other people like him. So he probably wasn't just basing his thoughts on himself, he probably was just assuming the island would be like the school and community he was used to. Unfortunately, this was not the case, and the person he confided in was not a very sophisticated person, but an average twelve year old school boy.
I think that in a way, Piggy almost wanted him to tell the others simply for the attention. I mean he did basically say "Oh, yeah... I have this nickname that I really hate, but please don't call me that." That was kind of dim-witted, and Piggy does NOT seem like a dim witted character. He seems smart enough to know that Ralph, while one of the more mature boys on the island, does still act childish. I don't really think that it mattered that it was Ralph that he told, I think it was just a matter of convenience.
Jiyon, I totally agree with you! I mean he's known this kid for all of ten minutes before he's spilling his secrets! Very foolish Piggy, very foolish... not to mention he expected Raplh to keep this private... I mean Ralph is only like twelve and how many twelve year olds are really good at keeping secrets?
I agree with Talen, Piggy trusted Ralph way to easily. Out of all the kids Ralph seemed most trustworthy, but if Piggy didn't want to be called by his nickname, then he shouldn't have brought it up. He should have thought before he spoke, or maybe he just spoke too soon. Ralph might have seemed like he could be trusted, but how could Piggy know after meeting Ralph for only a few minutes. Piggy overestimated Ralph a lot, and is now being called by a name that hurts him.
I agree with Carlee, I think that one of the main reasons why Piggy told Ralph his nickname was because he had just been through a traumatic experience (the plane crash) and he was nervous and probably a little bit frightened. I think he just wanted to be able to think to himself that he had someone to trust, a solid rock, even when everything else around him doesn't seem to be making much sense. To Piggy, him telling Ralph his nickname was much more than sharing a little secret, it was a symbol of showing that he trusted in Ralph; there were no adult figures and Piggy just wanted the comfort of being able to have a reliable figure to count on. However, Ralph is not an adult, and to Piggy's disappointment, he isn't Piggy's best friend either. Ralph is, despite his display of good character, just another kid, and Piggy shouldn't have invested very much in him...especially after only knowing him for such a brief time.
I think Piggy although is very mature is somewhat socially awkward. This isn't completely Piggy's fault. I think Piggy had nothing to say to Ralph or didn't know what to say so by telling Ralph his nickname he got attention and started conversation. Piggy did not think before he told Ralph his nick name and needs to think before he trusts someone with information he doesn't want everyone else to know.
I agree with Maria piggy told Ralph his name so he could get a conversation start. He trusted Ralph a little to much for a guy he just meet. He expected more from Ralph then that. He felt betrayed he was hoping Ralph asked him what his real name was, but that didn't happen Ralph needs to be more considerable to. Piggy needs to think through next time he speaks. Even though he has speaking problems. He just has to think a little more before he tells someone he doesn't know that his name is Piggy but he doesn't want to be called that.
Talen, I agree. I feel that Piggy just wanted a friend and someone he could trust. He didn't see the other boys and he figured Ralph looked like a nice guy. Turns out, he underestimated him. Piggy is much more mature than any of the other kids so before he met the other kids, he expected the other kids to be mature too, right? Wrong. Piggy figured Ralph would honor his wish of not being called Piggy. But what Piggy didn't realize, is that Ralph is just another immature kid. Piggy should've gotten to know Ralph better before telling him what he did NOT want to be called.
I also agree with Talen; Piggy overestimated Ralph. I think Piggy had decided that the two were friends from trauma. They had both survived a plane crash which was probably the most traumatic thing in either of their lives. Piggy, perhaps, didn’t notice how Ralph was more of a jokester and not one to entrust with secrets. Piggy is also an awkward character. He most likely could not think of a thing to say to Ralph. Since he was not sure what to say he rambled on about the first thing that he could think of. Ralph was also the oldest of the boys so Piggy may have thought he would be more mature. It’s often that older children have a higher maturity levels then those younger than themselves. It was a mistake on Piggy’s part. This mistake resulted in the reader never knowing Piggy’s real name.
Piggy trusted Ralph and hoped they could become friends. They do, eventually, which gives Piggy an almost psychic aura of insight that goes with the general theme of his charecter's death: he is being venerated, almost the same way Simon was, just as the boy with the birthmark was.
Post a Comment